Sunday 26 January 2014

Telefonino

I'm proud to say that this is my favorite cocktail ever. I've had a special fondness for Italian aperitivi for many years, but this combo is the perfect balance.  The telefonino has been a staple at my beloved River Cafe in London for as long as I can remember. It's always the first thing I have at the bar before sitting down.  I've often wondered what the exact measurements were. A quick phone call to the bar tender last month finally confirmed this. I think Antica Formula vermouth makes a key difference versus Punt e Mes, or Martini as it has a stronger vanilla flavor. The other key ingredient of course is the Zucca, which is made from rhubarb.

20 ml Campari
20 ml Zucca Rabarbaro
15 ml vermouth Antica Formula
squeeze of lemon
top off with tonic soda (best quality organic, preferably a Japanese brand)
  1. put ingredients except lemon and tonic in a cocktail shaker with ice, strain into a medium tall glass with fresh ice
  2. add a squeeze of lemon, top off with tonic soda (just a quick tip of the bottle)

No comments:

Post a Comment