Saturday 10 July 2010

Turkey Observations

As usual, great food experiences in Turkey. Although Turks are too modest to claim this, I think Greek and probably even Lebanese mezze are a tad more rudimentary.
  • La Nonna (Gocek and surroundings): a great little chef on the boat named Bekir Usta; dish highlights included the best borek I've had, samphire served with yoghurt, the local spinach-cum-watercress served with yoghurt and an octupus salad in a mustard vinaigrette. Bravo Bekir!
  • Poseidon (Bebek): my favorite restaurant in Istanbul; they do lovely sobiyet- thanks ASK for making the introduction--so much lighter and better than baklava; need to find little white cloth lemon covers
  • Iskele (Rumeli): a Danny Glover siting; getting a bit too big and unwieldy but their sea bass mezze with mustard or maybe curry still one of my favorites.
  • Lucca (Bebek): Manou's favorite cheese toasts, time to buy a grill!
  • Sehbender 14 (Asmalimescit): ASK's parents have been weekly regulars since the beginning; steamed artichoke with dill gave me the idea of including the latter in my vinaigrettes when I have artichauts a la vapeur; an interesting borek cigar including bacon
  • Mezze Luna (Nisantasi): a perfectly pleasant trattoria in the heart of chi-chi Istanbul--although I'd give ambiance higher marks than the food.
  • Kavak (Rumeli): recommended, but have not tried
  • Kiyi (Tarabya): recommended for Turbot in salt crust, as well as a special tomato salad with secret dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment