Sunday 6 June 2010

Hong Kong Observations

World class food in Hong Kong, no doubts here.
  • Fook Lam Moon: the Wan Chai branch is best; perfectly possible to have an affordable meal here if you pass up on the shark fin soup, abalone and bird's nest; I was advised to go with the Famous Crispy Chicken which I wholeheartedly recommend, amazingly succulent char siu pork (hate to talk in superlatives, but I think probably the best I've ever had), amaranth & garlic, and something I will return for: the Steamed Brown Sugar Sponge Cake!
  • Yung Kee: pretty much synonymous with Hong Kong and a must visit despite being a tourist magnet; the fried tofu I had seemed lightly caramelized with hints of cinnamon (I would go back for this!); the sauteed prawn and chili also perfectly satisfied my light appetite.
  • Cova Milano: a branch of the Milano restaurant in Pacific Place; didn't dine but a pasta dish caught my eye on their menu: a yummy sounding spaghettini cacio pepe with fresh sausage.
  • The Pawn: nice old fashioned watering hole in Wan Chai; lots of Gwailos.
  • Maxim's Palace: I can't think of a better place for dim sum for Sunday brunch, delivered to you by trolley the good old fashioned way (err, except for the video screen depicting the dish on the trolley!). Best to avoid the soda, grape and yoghurt drink.
  • Bo Innovation: Chinese cuisine of the molecular sort; no chance to visit, but taking note.
  • Sevva: chill-out rooftop bar; why aren't there more of these in HK?

No comments:

Post a Comment