Sunday 1 January 2012

Unshackled Ragu

Whenever I make a ragu I feel that I need to make it like a nona would in Emilia Romagna. This time I used my intuition and came up with this. Never have I included garlic in a ragu before. Avoid adding any pasta water when finishing the dish in pan at end.

carrot-onion-celery
ground veal-pork-beef (300 gr, 300 gr, 500 gr)
450 ml tin of Italian tomatoes
few tblsp of tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 small spring thyme
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
half bottle robust white wine
parmesan rind
nutmeg
chopped serrano ham (or prosciutto butt)
Maldon sea salt
ground pepper
butter
single cream
home-made chicken stock
  1. saute vegetables, followed by meat, serrano & nutmeg
  2. add wine, let reduce, then tomatoes and paste
  3. let reduce half hour, then add broth & parmesan, season with salt and pepper
  4. cook on low heat five hours, adding broth if necessary along the way
  5. add some cream during last half hour, butter last 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment