Thursday 29 April 2010

Ragu Buca di Bacco

The chef at Buca di Bacco finally admitted to including an herb in his ragu: rosemary. This must have been the ingredient that led me to ask for the recipe to this lovely ragu in the first place. I'm glad that I ran into him as I left because the owner's recipe had nothing in common with that of the chef's. I asked "red wine?" He said "remember, red meat, red wine!"The other interesting bit is the blitzing of carrot, celery and onion to help create a smoother sauce. As this is a ragu made by a Napolitano, the tomato content of the sauce is naturally higher (in fact all the ragus I've seen have been heavy on the tomatoes).

onion
celery
carrot
EVOO
best quality beef
rosemary
butter
canned marzano tomatoes
red wine
  1. blitz very finely the carrot, celery and onion, make sottofritto and add other ingredients, making ragu in same fashion as other ragu recipes, adding tomatoes last.
  2. although I didn't verify, it would make sense to add rosemary to carrot, celery and onion to blitz equally finely, nothing worse than dealing with rosemary needles on your plate.
  3. before serving, add a little butter to enrichen the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment